27 May, 2022
The Commercialisation and Industry team runs Science Advisory Panels, which provide a regular opportunity for companies to present their technical challenges to a group of relevant materials science researchers from across NZ. These Panel sessions have evolved into a regular, flexible, videoconference format, allowing companies to receive rapid-turnaround advice.
The service is aimed at helping R&D intensive companies, and those who aspire to do more R&D, to develop new products, processes and services, or to troubleshoot existing issues in high-value manufacturing. Prior to each session, we typically engage with the company to get a
preliminary understanding of their issue so that we can arrange for scientists who have expertise in the company’s technology area to sit on the panel.
Both companies and participating scientists have enjoyed this efficient interaction and the sessions have led to successful R&D project partnerships.
Watching a group of technical experts from the company discuss their complex technological hurdles and seeing scientists pitching insightful, pragmatic solutions is a real privilege.Kevin Sheehy Commercialisation and Industry Engagement Manager The MacDiarmid Institute
The Panel sessions deliver a range of potential impacts, including:
• Direct suggestions about how the R&D could be further developed or approached;
• Links to specific scientists (on the panel or through our networks) who can deliver some of the R&D that companies are seeking;
• Input on the facilities that are available across our networks - specialised laboratory equipment and the capability to run it;
• Contacts with graduates with very specific skills who may be placed into company R&D projects;
• Suggestions about research funding streams, including consideration of joint funding applications.